Monday, April 29, 2019

Podcasts and Windshield Time



          Spring is here and it is time to get out in the field. It is no doubt that some of you will be seeing a lot of windshield time while seeding your spring crops. For this extension minute, I wanted to suggest some podcasts to help keep your mind going while you’re stuck in the tractor seat.
A podcast is a series of digital audio episodes that a user can download and listen. Podcasts have been around since 2004 but they have seemed to have really gained traction in the last few years with smartphones. Podcasts can typically last anywhere from five minutes to an hour, but it depends on the podcast and your attention span. With our sporadic cell phone service in the area, it is quite helpful to download podcasts on your phone or tablet devices then the episode will be available for offline use.
The best thing about podcasts are that there is one for everybody. There are sports, pop culture, lifestyle, business and technology, or just general stories available for free. There are millions of podcasts out there and new ones being born every day. I listen to my podcasts on the Apple Podcast App, which is free on the iPhone but you can also get podcasts on Spotify, Soundcloud, and Google Play on Android phones.
Now I would like to suggest a few podcasts. These are just a few that I enjoy listening to and I hope you might too! Two are agriculture podcasts and two are some of my favorites that I listen to almost daily.
Talking Lane: Lane Nordlund from the Montana Ag Network TV has a podcast called Talking Lane. On this thirty minute podcast, Lane interviews some notable ag producers in Montana and he talks about current ag issues and policies. This podcast is great for learning about local agriculture trends.
AgricultureToday: Agriculture Today is a daily podcast that comes out of the Extension services at Kansas State. In this thirty minute podcast, Eric Atkinson shares current affairs in Ag and market updates from K-State economists. If you are looking for a Montana State Extension podcast, keep looking towards the future. Our own, Mat Walter out of Teton county has received a grant so he can begin a Montana State Extension podcast. I will keep you updated on when that comes out!
How I BuiltThis: How I built this is hosted by Guy Raz from NPR. In this podcast, Guy dives into the stories behind some of the world’s best known companies and weaves a narrative journey about innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists and the movements they built. These episodes are typically forty five minutes to an hour. Some of the companies have been big names like Instagram, Airbnb, Lyft, and Stitch Fix.
Stuff YouShould Know: Stuff you should know is my personal favorite podcast. SYSK releases episodes daily on the Apple Podcast App.  Chuck Bryant and Josh Clark research a random topic anywhere from yo-yo's to the Loch Ness Monster to the Pony Express. These podcasts typically last around forty five minutes to an hour but they also have, what are known as “short stuff” episodes that are around twelve minutes long. I think I enjoy this podcast the most because it will be very helpful for when I’m on jeopardy some day!
Now that I’ve given you some tips on how to get started listening to podcasts, I hope you have an excellent seeding season and enjoy your windshield time. Also, if you come across any awesome podcasts that I didn’t mention, be sure to let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment